Monday, February 7, 2011

A Big Thanks to Amazon and Technology

It is the day before race #1 of 2011, so unfortunately I couldn't stay up last night to watch the Superbowl (which was live in the early hours of the morning here), even if it was my home-state Green Bay Packers playing for the title. No problem though, because Chris Tivo-ed (amazing technology!) the game back in the U.S. and we planned to get up and ride this morning and then use his Slingbox (another awesome invention) to watch it today without knowing what had happened. However, I was highly disappointed when my plans were derailed by junk mail. That's right, it was not a teammate or family/friend email or Twitter that ruined the suspense for me, but rather a junk mail from Amazon in my inbox that leaked who won the Superbowl. Thanks Amazon! Of course, we will still watch it and I'm sure it will be great. It is always fun to see the commercials and still good to watch a good game and see my GB Packers bring the Lombardie trophy back to its home!!!

In other news, I had a pretty funny moment at lunch today involving the "language barrier". I was BlackBerry Messenging (more wonderful technology) with Lisa and she asked me what "modus tollens" meant. Assuming
it was Spanish/Catalan because she was at a cafe in Girona and I had no clue what it meant, I asked a few of my Spanish teammates. They also had no clue so they proceeded to ask the waiter because he spoke more Catalan. The waiter did not know, but decided to ask other staff members. In that time, Lisa messaged me more about her reading and it dawned on me that she was asking about some of her comps reading materials, which is of course in English and not Spanish. Now it was funny! I had the waiter, some of his staff, and a few of my teammates all trying to figure out what I thought to be a Spanish phrase! Ah well, no one could figure it out and it was Lisa and my little secret; except everyone reading this now knows! Shhhhh!

In one final splash for sweet technology; without my awesome BlackBerry and its messenging and email capabilities, this blog would have never happened! And of course thanks to my chief editor for proof reading and posting these! Time for revitalization before tomorrow's big day. See you!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Enjoy the game. We sure did! Have a great race!!!!

Kyle J said...

Hi!
What # were you on 2/8? I am too lazy too look but if you are #35, I found you at 31sec into this Bruyneel video (http://www.youtube.com/user/JohanBruyneelSports?feature=chclk) Keep up the good work!

Lisa said...

Good eye Kyle!! That IS Matthew (#35).