Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Goodbye Mallorca... And Hello Again.

Training camp is over now, but rather than leaving to go home I am staying here through the weekend to race a few days of the Mallorca Challenge. I've raced here before, but don't remember too much about it. One certain memory I have is 2011 or 2012 when we were driving to the start of the stage in a couple inches of snow and somehow it was thought we would race. Thankfully common sense prevailed and the stage was cancelled. The weather this year is once again not looking so favorable. Friday and Saturday they are predicting rain, which might mean snow in the mountains. I'm not sure what that will mean for racing but I can certainly predict cold and wet: thumbs down. Whatever happens, I hope they take in account our safety when they consider sending us up and down the long climbs/descents on the twisty and slippery roads here. The race itself is of unique structure given that it is a series race instead of a stage race. Rather than being a 4 day cumulative event it is 4 individual races that a rider can participate in as many as they want. For me, I'll be doing 3 of the 4 stages, skipping the first day. The second and third days are the mountain days and the fourth is kind of an intermediate day. It's certainly going to be a hard way to start the season, but I guess that's the best way to get the engine running!

I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing between camp and the races? I get two days of rest! It feels well earned after a difficult training camp. I woke up leisurely this morning, had a relaxing breakfast, then contemplated training as the I watched rain drops splatter in the pool. I opted to take a full day of rest instead of go get wet or ride the trainer. I traded my bike shorts for my swim shorts, slipped in the big bathrobe provided by the hotel, walked down to the spa, and enjoyed. I did a little time in the sauna, went to the pool and stretched a bit, did a little more time in the sauna, and then finished it with some time in a eucalyptus scented steam room. Following that, I had a nice lunch and a coffee from the new machine on the bus (super nice!), and then have spent the rest of the afternoon chilling out. Overall it has been a very restful day, hopefully recharging my batteries before the season officially starts! Stay tuned for the updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ride well, ride smart, have a great season! We will be cheering.