Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Monarch Mountain Trials

It was another challenging day today in Colorado. The stage started with an onslaught of attacks that never stopped until the first slopes of Monarch pass began. The peloton exploded immediately under the pressure at the front. I was not feeling very comfortable but tried to find a rhythm. At about 6km from the top, Tom Danielson attacked and it made the already decimated field explode even more. I was unable to follow the front group and did everything I could to limit my losses, hoping to regain contact on the descent. Thankfully I had some amazing teammates today. Jens did a great piece of tempo making to the top and then with the help of Laurent on the descent and in the valley, we were able to make it back to the lead group. My confidence was rattled after being dropped the first time up the climb, but the team continued to work for and believe in me, so I did the same for myself. As we began the final ascent to the finish, Jens again sacrificed himself for me, riding in the wind for probably close to 20km. It was crucial for me to saving energy and giving myself a chance to fight in the end. Once the moves began with around 6km to the finish, I fought to stay with it. I didn't want to lose contact with the front group this time. The group slowly dwindled. Under the pressure of the attacks I think everyone was pretty dead, especially at such high elevations. At about 3km to go, there was a serious lull in the action and I decided I would try. I thought that if I got a small gap I would have a legitimate shot at making it to the finish because no one seemed to have any steady power left. I did get a gap, but there were still some guys left in the group to work for their leaders, so they were able to bring me back. I tried to latch onto the group but lost contact in the final kilometer. I took a risk that I maybe shouldn't have today, but it felt like the right move at that time. I'll keep fighting though and can still place high in the race. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a great move that had Jackson, Jamie, and me all cheering! Keep riding hard Matthew, and thanks for the great blog. Go TFR!

Scott K said...

You did an excellent job and we are all proud of your efforts. Keep up the great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Great week so far, very impressed with your riding. I love that you are taking chances for a victory. These posts also explain how cycling is really a team sport, cool that you credit your teammates so much. Keep fighting!

Cindy said...

You lose 100% of the chances you don't take. Great job. Keep on fighting!

Anonymous said...

I threw aside the sandwich I was eating for lunch as I watched on my DVR yelling at my TV...."GO FLIP" trying to will you up the rest of that climb to the finish in front. Great move.

LeP said...

Get them over the next few days. 30 seconds each day. Boom!

Unknown said...

i can say great job, you did keep ridding and keep updating your blog.
Dubai desert safari