Monday, November 7, 2011

Having Fun

I am on my way to Solvang, CA for a Trek event. It has been a great week at home, but I can already feel my off season winding down. It has gone way too fast between my surgery and trip to Belgium for the team camp., but I am doing my best to maximize my time at home.

This last week I have enjoyed a few mountain bike rides, as well as a couple runs, and even one road ride just to make sure I still know how to handle the bike. I don't want to look like too much of a fool for these Trek dealers; although, they might not consider me professional with my hairy legs. I was considering waxing because I have such thick/coarse hair that is always getting inflamed from shaving, massage, and just riding, but after deliberation on cost and pain (1:99% ratio!), I think I have decided to just continue with the razor. I really would love electrolysis or the laser, but I digress. Yikes, off topic ramble there...

So, I rode the mtb, ran, and rode the road bike. I have also been dealing with renewing/changing cell phone plans, which has been a real treat. I'll leave it at that, but I am pretty sure Lisa is ready to go back to pigeons and paper or Morris Code after all the questions I have asked her and time I have spent on it. Friday night brought some unusual excitement to our lives: bowling! Lisa ended up sitting out because it was hurting her back, but she was a great sport and cheered hard for me while I split 6 games of bowling with our friend Mike. After 6 games, my right arm was useless. Maybe if I could find a ball of reasonable weight with a big enough thumb hole, it would be different, but I always end up with a 12lb+ ball. Ok, I know that isn't very heavy, but I am basically useless and weak besides making my legs go up and down, so when I do other activity, my body tells me!

Sunday was date day for Lisa and me. We started off with delicious, homemade pancakes topped with bananas, raspberries, and REAL maple syrup. Then we were off for a hike and lunch in the mountains. It was very fun. We even walked through our first snow of the season! After hiking, we headed down to El Paso because I had to fly out so early that a hotel made the most sense. We had a nice dinner and went out to a comedy club. It was our first time, so we didn't know exactly what to expect, but it ended up being fun. There were some funny times along with some not so funny times, but we avoided getting called out or joked at, so it was a success!

I am sad to be leaving again so soon for these few days, but I am excited to see Solvang a little bit. I have heard so much about it. I am excited to see some of the riding and meet the Trek dealers who are coming out. Chris Horner is coming as well, so we will have a good time together. Not involving Solvang, I'm really excited for Lisa because she will be handing in her dissertation proposal on Wednesday, which makes her one step closer to earning the PhD she has worked so hard for. Good luck and great job! I guess that's about all I have to report. Please remember to go vote for the fan choice awards I posted in my previous post! Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Washed any windows lately? (:

Matt Miller said...

Thanks for keeping the posts coming. I always enjoy reading them.